Who we are
The appliedAI Initiative is Germany's largest initiative fostering the application of AI technology in the German industry landscape. We aim to lift Germany to the AI age by accelerating the adoption of AI technology. We do this through education (with e.g.: NVIDIA, Google, Startups, and DAX Companies), implementation of machine-learning software and infrastructure solutions with companies (e.g. in the domain of AI-based automation, computer vision, reinforcement learning) and by providing a neutral ground for knowledge exchange between key players in the AI space (see our partners).
(Senior) DevOps and Infrastructure Engineer (m/f/x)
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to help our AI Engineering team transform the AI strategy of our partner companies. Each project can last from 3-12 months and be on a variety of topics, each of which is focused on helping our partner company use AI to create a new product or improve existing business processes. Together with our team of AI and Software Engineers, you will work on improving our development lifecycle. With the team, you will be responsible to build up our AI software Development Infrastructure across all layers, from network to cluster and process management. You will care for setting up Machine-Learning clusters, automating workloads, building up software/process management infrastructure, data pipelines, cloud solutions and drive automation to continue bringing the latest AI solutions to our partners. You will work as part of the engineering team with other DevOps to make our mission “lifting Germany to the AI age” possible.
Candidates should have experience in building and maintaining software infrastructure, above average communication skills and a willingness to learn new skills. It would be advantageous to have a good understanding of business. As a DevOps engineer, you would be expected to take a lead role in supporting our home-grown state-of-the-art infrastructure.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL:
- Bring in solid understanding of, and experience with infrastructure as code, kubernetes clusters and application deployment automation and testing.
- Build software and hardware infrastructure as part of the appliedAI team to support the development and operation of novel AI applications.
- Support and improve our GitOps infrastructure.
What we offer
What you get
A highly qualified and motivated team of ~40 people is on a journey to change the rapidly changing European AI Landscape. ~25 of us have a strong scientific, engineering or CS background.
- Opportunity to work on a variety of projects
- Want to learn about robotics, autonomous drones or smart factories? All of this is happening at appliedAI
- 10% time for personal projects and additional time for defined "Areas of Interest"
- You will have access to the newest technology in the AI domain. We operate clusters with ML-optimized systems such as NVIDIA-DGX or IBM Power9 servers, we work with beta software of our partners and test other novel hardware systems like FPGA accelerators or Franka Emika robots. You can also use this for your personal projects
- An atmosphere that encourages to think and experiment in new ways with software and hardware - guaranteed impact with new ideas
- Hottest topics of the next decade and freedom and trust to initiate own activities
- A highly visible initiative that helps you build a large and high level network of start-ups, partners, and tech companies
- Budget and time to visit important conferences, read papers and develop your skills with the team - potentially showcasing results at relevant events
- Internal seminar in machine learning and computer science
- Hackathons organized by UTUM
- Pick your own hardware
- Free food, coffee, snacks, etc.
- (Optional) after work Fridays and monthly dinners
What you need
- B.Sc. / M.Sc. / Ph.D. or strong experience in software development
- Experience in infrastructure development projects using kubernetes
- Experience in system architecture and network design
- Experience in scripting and automation, in particular with python and using Ansible or Terraform
- Experience with Git, Gitlab, Jira
- Experience maintaining internet facing applications and virtualized environments
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- A team player attitude and a willingness to learn new things
- Fluent English
IT WOULD BE ADVANTAGEOUS TO HAVE:
- Experience with scalable networking technologies, microservice architectures and security
- Experience supporting transactional database systems like MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB or Cassandra
- Experience managing clusters for distributed computing running Spark, Dask or similar systems
- Conversational German or better
- Ability to independently manage critical situations and handle customers
Join our team
Are you the right for the job?
The appliedAI Initiative is Germany's largest initiative fostering the application of AI technology in the German industry landscape. We aim to lift Germany to the AI age by accelerating the adoption of AI technology. We do this through education (with e.g.: NVIDIA, the Leibniz Rechenzentrum and TU Munich), implementation of machine-learning software and infrastructure solutions with companies (e.g., autonomous ships, autonomous drones) and by providing a neutral ground for knowledge exchange between key players in the AI space (e.g.: Google, Infineon, Siemens, Allianz, Porsche Consulting).
85748 Garching / München
Phone: +49 (0)89-189 469 – 2178
Your contact person
Director of Technology & Ops